Boys of PHB

Boys of PHB
Barefoot boys

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Politically Offensive

     They all tell us to be politically correct all of the time.  Then they say you can't please everyone.  My question is, which is it?! 
     I've decided I've got to offend someone.  I'm going to offend some because I'm Christian.  I'm going to offend some because I'm Republican.  I'm bound to offend people of other nationalities because I'm a Caucasian and an American.  I'm going to offend people I meet just because I'm me.  I'm going to offend my kids because I'm a mean mom (this I hear more often than necessary).
     I've decided I'm not into politics, therefore I can never be politically correct.  It just isn't going to happen.  I will try not to hurt feelings, because everyone wants to be respected.  I want respect.  Where respect is due I'm there to give it.  This includes giving respect when I disagree with some one's viewpoint.  However, it doesn't mean I won't offend them with my differing opinion.  I plan on it.  I will stand for what I believe, raise my children the way I see fit and enjoy every moment of making people squirm and become upset because I said something totally wrong in their viewpoint. 
     Sometimes I'll explain myself, and sometimes I won't.  Most people don't want to know why you've offended them, they just want an apology and for you to admit you were totally wrong in the way you see things and to finally see it their way.  That's when the nod comes into play.  It's a way of agreeing to disagree when no more words are needed.  I use it when I know they are never going to believe or like what I say because they've decided there is nothing more to be learned by listening to some one's take on something.
      I realize that listening to an other's opinion is a good thing because it helps me expand my own.  I can grow and change with the best of them.  As opinionated as I am, I am in no way close minded.  Though I do admit to coming across that way and offending people because they have thought that about me.  There I go again. 
      I'm OK if someone speaks their mind.  I'm OK if they don't want to say prayer, because I expect they'll be OK if I do.  I'm OK if they don't like something that is important to me, because I expect them to be OK that it is important to me.  I don't mind a good argument because it can make for a great exchanging of ideas. 
     I do have a problem with things like the census.  I've noticed that all of the other Americans who were born and raised here are allowed to state their genealogy on there.  I still must state my skin color as being white.  I'm thinking that if everyone were to be politically correct we could start with me being able to either say I'm American, or to state European American.  I mean if a 6 or 7 generation black or Hispanic gets to state where their father's came from, shouldn't I get to? 
     I feel offended over several issues out there, but I don't go changing everyone else to fit my viewpoint because you simply can't please everyone.  It just isn't going to happen.  Someone will always be unhappy with something and we're an imperfect people trying to live together on the same planet. 
     We all need to chill out and agree to disagree listen with our ears and understanding rather than taking every word out of every one's mouth as a direct attack on us.  I'm not attacking, I'm just saying.
     (Just a side - I wasn't offended by the spell check telling me I'd spelled so much wrong even though I disagree.  It was just saying.)

No comments:

Post a Comment