Boys of PHB

Boys of PHB
Barefoot boys

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Heroes

     I don't really have many heroes I really admire and want to emulate as far as famous people, or anything like that.  I don't put people on pillars because everyone is human and everyone has flaws.  However, I do very much  believe in heroes, princes and princesses.
     My son Jonas decided the other day to clean the whole house by himself.  It was one of those days that I just wasn't going to.  I sometimes just sit down and don't clean like I usually do because it's so discouraging to clean and have it look like you haven't cleaned in years by the next hour (if it takes that long).  So I was stunned to find him buzzing through the house and doing so many chores - all without being asked that I couldn't help but praise him over and over. 
     That is when someone is a hero.  Anyone can do amazing things.  Amazing things aren't always changing the world, and being a hero doesn't always mean you're being a hero to everyone.  Sometimes it's making a huge difference to that one person whose world you change.  Sometimes it's doing such a simple thing like cleaning when mom seems so exhausted that she isn't able to that makes the big changes.  Jonas doing that made a world of difference to me.  I knew for a moment I was noticed and cared for.  He doesn't do it all the time, but because he was that awesome I was able to get dinner done that night.  The next day I heard him tell his brother he now knew what mom feels like when she cleans the whole house. 
     I may never be a hero to anyone, but I'm grateful I have heroes in my life that set a good example to me and my family.  I'm grateful that my kids are my heroes.  They keep me going and give me a reason to not give up when I feel overwhelmed and am not sure I can go on.  Aaron is my hero when I've had a nightmare and he's woken up in the middle of the night to hold me.  He's taken time out of his day and his to-do list to do the things I want or feel I need done.   That's a hero.  Someone who does something and most of the time doesn't even know they are doing something amazing.
     I have friends I look up to, but not because I think they're better than anyone else.  I look up to them and think they are amazing because I've watched them go through a hard time and they've come through on top.  Sometimes they have a harder time and that's when I hope I can be there for them.  I'm so thankful that my life is filled with people who have learned to overcome and become better because of their trials.
     As far as the prince and princess goes.  Aren't we all?  I tell my boys all the time they are son's of a King.  They are son's of a most High God. They are my princes.  They therefore need to act accordingly and treat everyone else like they are a prince or princess as well.   Especially the girls.  I'm so surprised I have such amazing children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment