Boys of PHB

Boys of PHB
Barefoot boys

Thursday, January 2, 2014

New Year, New Adventure

I decided long ago that life is an amazing adventure.  How we view that adventure determines how we react to the struggles and amazingly wonderful things that happen during it.  I admit I don't always react the best way, but I'm working on it.

Last year was a hard time during this adventure.  We had some great things that happened, but often times I found myself struggling with difficult choices, and some things that were not my choice, but the result of others choices.  That is sometimes the most frustrating thing, dealing with things beyond our control.

Last year I'd made some goals.  Every year we do this the first Monday of the new year; we sit as a family and make personal goals for the year, print it on card stock and put it on the fridge where we can see it. One year we didn't put it on the fridge because I'd just never gotten around to printing it and we found that most of the goals that year had not been accomplished.  Every year that we put it up though we find we are able to accomplish most of our goals through the year.  It keeps us focused, putting it up where we can view them and see them all the time.  Even if we don't stop to read them, they are in our mind as we see it posted there.

I had made some goals last year to extend myself and reach out to friends more and let them know I cared.  I wanted to make changes to myself and my character as well. Improvements I felt I needed to accomplish.  So I worked hard.  Though the changes came, they didn't exactly come in the way I thought they would. I've made some changes to the way I think about things and the way I do some things.  I've lost this past year and I've learned.  The best thing is, though things didn't happen the way I'd hoped they would, my family and I are happier and we are closer.  It gives me hope with looking towards this next year.

I'm excited to make my goals this year.  I'm looking forward with eagerness to experiencing this adventure with my family and friends.  I have some amazing friends who have helped me through my changes this past year. I can't express how strong they have been in their support and their encouragement when I got down.  My friends have been the back up support I've needed. They know I'm trying to make changes and they have supported me through them.  That is a lot to ask for and I'm always surprised with their constancy in my life.

My boys are astounding.  They make me laugh and smile when I feel like I just can't go on another minute.  When I am crying they put their arms around me and snuggle.  They seem to know just what I need when I need it and act accordingly.  I'm surprised by their sensitive natures and the way they express that.  They are tough kids and don't usually like me acknowledging that they have a tender side, but they do and I love that they bring it out just when it's needed.

I'm excited that I'm experiencing my 18th year of marriage with Aaron.  When I was a kid I dealt a lot with chronic depression and low self esteem.  I was sure no one would want to be with me and if they did they wouldn't want to stick it out.  I'm still stunned he's here and we'er going strong.  I haven't chased him away and we are better friends now than when we got married.  He listens to me and even if he thinks I'm crazy, he tells me I'm not.   He's been a huge support in 2013 and he will be with the adventure of 2014 as well.

I didn't print Christmas cards last year, ran out of time.  We didn't get our family pictures done either, which is why we didn't print cards.  I did get more presents done for friends and family.  I am already working on Christmas gifts for 2014.  I have to get on it early or it won't get done.  I used to be good at this, but have lost my momentum over the past few years.  Now, it's back. :)

Here's to a new year, a new adventure, new changes, new friends, new lessons learned and new beginnings.  It'll be fun to see how this year goes and if we can accomplish all of our goals.  I'm very encouraged by how the different goals I made last year went. I am hoping I can do even more this year.
Happy New Year to all!!  

1 comment: